Saturday, December 20, 2014

DAY 5- Sa Dulo ng Bahaghari (Part 1)

Peter replied, “Man, I don’t know what you’re talking about!” Just as he was speaking, the rooster crowed. The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: “Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times.” And he went outside and wept bitterly. Lk. 22:60-62

To Peter’s eyes, he's a liar, a betrayer.
But for Jesus’, he’s the hope of His Church, the leader.

That one straight look, that brief eye to eye contact with Jesus is enough for Peter to realize this. That HE IS LOVED! That he is still OWNED even he disowned Jesus.
.
Yes, this fact I believe is what made Peter to go outside.
He knew that he BETRAYED and DISOWNED Jesus,
But he discovered that he is still LOVED and OWNED by Jesus.
So he didn't only go outside, he wept and wept bitterly.

 Today, let’s start our 2-day throwback (Holy) Thursday.
Allow me to help you see who St. Peter really is-
In the eyes of Jesus, from the heart of Jesus.
From being the betrayer to being the leader.

St. Luke in his gospel above, made us realize why Peter (Simon) go outside and wept bitterly.
Yes, it is because Peter remembered something.
What was that something? What did Peter saw in his memory?
Is it only because Jesus prophesied that he will betray Him and he did?
Here’s what I believe Peter’s complete recollection.

“Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift all of you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.” But he replied, “Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death.” Jesus answered, “I tell you, Peter, before the rooster crows today, you will deny three times that you know me.” Lk. 22:31-34

Indeed Peter remembered that he promised Jesus that he will be ready to fight and go to prison and even to death with Him (actually he tried, read Lk. 22:50) But he found himself betraying his master three times as Jesus told him. However, I also believe that he did remember the first part of their exchange:

“Simon, kasama ka sa aking mga dasal. Hiniling ko sa aking Ama na hindi ka madaig ng tukso. Na hindi ka mawalan ng pag-asa. Na manatili kang matatag sa kabila ng kalungkutang mararamdaman mo kapag itinatwa mo na ako. Oo, itatatwa mo nga ako ng tatlong ulit. Ngunit uulitin ko sa iyo, huwag kang mawawalan ng pag-asa. Naniniwala ako sa iyo, makakabawi ka. At kapag nakabawi ka na, huwag mong kalimutan na tulungan rin na makabawi ang iyong mga kapatid.”

This is I believe the complete recollection of Peter.
This is also I believe what that STRAIGHT LOOK from Jesus is all about.
To tell Peter. Yes, to reassure Peter.

“I see that out of fear you'll betray me. But remember, please remember Peter. That even before you betrayed me, I already prayed for you. That I forgive you and loved you. Nothing will ever change that. Nothing Peter.”

Then he cried... Then I cried.

No comments:

Post a Comment