Friday, March 20, 2020

LESSON 5: Love Your Parents

Even to your old age and gray hairs 
I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you;
I will sustain you and I will rescue you. Is. 46:4

I took vacation yesterday in my parent’s house in Cavite.
(Don’t worry, it’s just one fence away from our home.)
The main purpose is to attend some errands-
Fixing the TV antenna and putting some baseboard in their bedroom.

It took me almost a day of working.
But it was also a great day of caring.
My mother prepared me merienda (a very delicious French toast)
And as a plus, she gave us also our dinner (a bunch of lumpiang shanghai)
My father, assisted me in cutting the boards.
He also cleaned my mess (he loves cleaning so much)

I came to express my care for them.
But actually, I felt being cared by them more.
They are very consistent.
When they gave birth to me.
When they send me to school.
Whey they allow me to go to seminary (and go out)
When they send me again to school (my schooling is really long)
When I got married.
When their grandchildren were born.
Yes, from my birth until now-
My parents continuously cared, support and prayed for me.

And now, more than ever- It’s my time to return the favor.
Indeed, it’s the circle of life.

God said and promised-
Even to your old age and gray hairs, I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you. Is. 46:4

Listen to your father, who gave you life, and do not despise your mother when she is old. Prov.23:22

God reiterated this in the new testament .
"Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother” (this is the first commandment with a promise), “that it may go well with you and that you may live long in the land.” Col. 6:1-3

And now, COVID has its own version.

- Elderly, most at risk from the Conona Virus -
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/03/coronavirus-covid-19-elderly-older-people-health-risk/ (this is a good read on how you can take care of elderly and of yourself from the virus)


Let’s take care of elderly parents.
Let’s give time to them.
Just listen.
Be patient.
Forgive.

Let us pray. (Silence)

Generous Father.
Thank you for today.
Thank you for giving us our bread and sustaining our health.
We ask you to help us particularly our elderly to be safe from danger.
Help us also to be more generous with our time and patience to express our love and gratitude for them. In Jesus name. Amen.

Guide questions for reflection
1. In what way/s I’m expressing now my love and gratitude to my parents?
2. Are there things I need to change in my schedule so I can give quality time to my parents? What are they?


P.S. A good read in how to take care of your elderly parents.
https://www.crosswalk.com/family/parenting/god-cares-for-you-while-you-care-for-your-aging-parents-11616672.html

No comments:

Post a Comment