Sunday, March 15, 2020

LESSON 1: ENJOY GOD MORE

“We no longer believe because of what you told us; we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this is the Savior of the world.” Jn. 4:42


Facebook is full of news (authentic and fake), reminders, sentiments, and even funny anecdotes about COVID-19. As I observe, it is also full of prayers and inspirations to trust God more in this difficult moment of our lives.



Obviously, this 19-day COVID-FREE online retreat is also in that tone.But I’m not just here to invite you to pray… or to trust God that everything will be well,(not even trying to scare you and remind you that the end of the world is near.)


What I intend for us to do here for the next 19 days is to enjoy God.Yes, we’re here to enjoy God more!This is the first lesson I learned from COVID-19.



As masses and other communal worship being cancelled,COVID-19 is giving us the chance to worship God afresh- in a personal and intimate way.And this is what I mean by ENJOY GOD MORE- that more than we observe worship as an obligation and bunch of rituals, we worship God in SPIRIT and in TRUTH.


Allow me to simplify things by asking you some questions.

When was the last time you find time to allow God to talk to you in silence? 
When was the last time you open, read, and marvel on your bible? 
When was the last time you truly examine your conscience?When was the last time you really give to a needy from the heart?


(silence)


Sometimes, when done unconsciously, public worship deprives us of these moments.Particularly when we’re there talking to God out of obligation or as a chore.When we just wait for someone to open the bible, read it, and explain it to us (while we nap).
When we try to equate going to church to being religious.


Listen, religiosity is more than rituals and going to churches.It is a relationship! Therefore, a daily commitment.

And with the adjustments due to COVID-19,your worship depends more on your spiritual commitment. It depends now on your own freewill and availability. You are now more free to decide when, where, why, what, how, and to whom to pray and help (this is worshiping God in Spirit and Truth). I invite you, take advantage of it. Take charge of your prayer life.

After all, according to a friend, prayer (our relationship with God and his relationship with us)- is the best mask that we can wear to cover ourselves with.


Hear this well.Take advantage to open your heart to God as your church closes.Take advantage of silence as laud singing and vocal prayer ceases.


Believe me, it is only in meeting God personally (and intimately) that you can truly worship Him, truly serve Him, and truly love Him.Moreover, it is only in letting God to personally meet you each day, that you can experience how much he cares, serves, and loves you.


This is what many Samaritans experience in our reading (Jn. 4:1-42). 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF7ma1yoLNk

They exert effort to meet and listen to Jesus. In the end, they no longer depend on the testimony of the Samaritan woman. Their personal encounter with Jesus made them believe that He is really the savior of this world.


This is also the blessing that I want you to receive through this 19-day COVID-FREE online retreat. That in the end. With or without the presence of other people, with or without the testimony of your church leaders and pastors (even without my testimonies and reflections) your personal experience with God can be a living proof of His security, healing, and saving to us all.

Let us pray…

(Silence)
Generous Father,Thank you for today.Thank you for inviting me and establishing an intimate relationship with me.Help me to value this relationship. Help me to always enjoy your presence in my life.Wherever I am and whatever I do.In Jesus name. Amen.


Guide Questions for Reflections

1. What is the challenge of Lesson 1 in my life today?
2. What do I want to do today so I can enhance my personal and intimate relationship with God?
3. What is my most memorable encounter with God this year?



3 comments:

  1. Goodmorning sir!

    1. The challenge of this lesson is to continue praying and encourage others to pray and to believe in the Lord’s Gospel.

    2. I must trust him more and obey his commandments for the better result. Trust him in his plans and continue praying. We need unity in praying to recover in the calamities and problems in our life.

    3. I was praying to God and suddenly I cried because I do now know what to do. But with the Faith and trust in him, I can recover on all the pain I’ve encountered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jre for sharing your reflections here. Continue to welcome God into you life. Enjoy him!

      Delete