Monday, April 14, 2014

When God died, He was Thinking about You (Round 1)



“At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life… When the centurion and those with him who were guarding Jesus saw the earthquake and all that had happened, they were terrified, and exclaimed, “Surely he was the Son of God!”  Mt. 27:52-54

Not Only PALM but a FIST Sunday for Filipinos


With much tension and excitement, while watching the 5th round of Paquiao and Bradley fight last Sunday on local television, a friend texted me that Paquiao already won via unanimous decision. More than a “Basag Trip” moment for me, I really thanked this friend or mine because he helped me remove my stress. Yes, because of that text, I was able to relax a little bit and said to myself “Hay! Mabuti naman, salamat sa Diyos.”

Indeed, it was a relief for me (and to my very nervous dad) to know that Manny Paquiao already won the match although I haven’t seen or heard it by myself announced in television.  And although my anticipation is no longer the same as before, I still cling to the television, watch the fight, and with excitement see by myself how Manny fought and won that most anticipated contest especially for us Filipinos.

It’s Not a Replay

Maybe you are thinking why I’m starting our Holy Week reflection with this. Listen my friend. Like my experience, you and I already know what happened and will happen these coming days. Although our Holy Week is just starting, we know that Jesus already won. That Jesus already defeated the enemy but doesn’t really receive the champion's belt for himself but we did.

Why not? How many Holy Weeks we have gone through? How many Visita Iglesia we have participated? How many 'Daan ng Krus' we have prayed? How many “Palaspas” we have bought, rose, and hung to our doors and windows? How many times we have gone on Good Friday processions? How many times we have seen the washing of the feet and last supper portrayed in our parishes? How many times we have listened to 'Siete Palabras'? How many times we have read or heard the biblical presentation of the passion of Christ? How many times we have kissed that crucifix? How many times we have woke up early Sunday morning and greeted each other “Happy Easter”? Yes, I’m sure many times already. Oh, I’m sorry; I missed something to ask. How many times we have visited resorts or climbed mountains and even renew our ‘anting-anting’?  I guess, many times also.

That’s why, even we are asleep; we knew the fact that Judas will betray Jesus and he will not change. That Jesus will be denied by Peter three times and not twice. That the disciples will run away from the garden of Gethsemane and leave Jesus. That Pontius Pilate will wash his hands not his feet. That Jesus will be hung in the cross. That those soldiers will gamble for the attire of Jesus and not for food. That one criminal will mock Jesus not three. That Jesus will die and after three days (not two or five), He will rose again. Bottom line, we have heard it and we have seen it. Nothing new, nothing different. Yes, this Holy week 2014 is finished before it started.  

No. I hope not! 
Please say that with me again. 
"No, I hope not!”

No is not yet over. If you think that everything will only be a replay, a mere flash back, only a commemoration of what happened thousands of years ago, or it will only be that same busy or nostalgic week for you, I invite you, please PRAY that you may remove this kind of disposition. Yes, let us pray that you and I may experience God's gift of salvation this week in a more inspiring and refreshing way.

Like what most of us did last Sunday, although we already knew that Manny Pacquiao won even before we see or heard it by ourselves, (thanks to those who spill the news after watching it live in Pay Per View and even thanks to GMA 7 who post it in their Facebook account even if their airing is not yet over) let us anticipate still or better say, celebrate still with much excitement (with holy stress) every saving acts of Christ, every false accusations, every denial, beating, spit and pain that He will receive, yet every forgiveness and love that He will give. Let us see, hear and touch it “by ourselves” and approach this Holy week as if we never saw, heard or experienced it before. So that we may also find ourselves attentive not only to the highlights but even to the ordinary yet life-giving incidents of the passion, death and resurrection of Christ. No, not only this week, but in all the weeks and days of our life. That is my prayer for you. That is my blessing for you. 

Our Generous Opening Prayer
Now, let us pray.

Generous Father, I humbly pray that as I start my Holy Week 2014 journey with you,  give me new eyes, new ears, new hands, and new heart to experience anew the wonders of your salvation. Make me more attentive to the lessons that your Son wanted me to learn and imitate so that like Him, I may also win the boxing, the battle of life here on earth for You and for others. These I pray in Jesus name my Savior. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment